Posted on January 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM
The first question you must ask yourself is, "Am I prepared?" The following suggestions are often overlooked, but they are very simple ways to protect your family, pets, your home and your possessions.
These are often put off onto our "when I have time" list, yet it is important to make these tasks a priority and add them to your "do NOW" list. Don't wait thinking a disaster can't happen to you. Don't wait until you are in a state of extreme stress and panic to regret not taking action and being prepared.
- Do you have an alarm system? Is your alarm system monitored? There are many alarm companies in our area, and we would be more than happy to help you in your search for the best option for your needs.
- Do you have an inventory, written documentation of all your possessions? Most people do not take the time to do their own home inventory, which is where our products and services come in. Schedule a consultation with us today and we can go over your options from having us take on this task for you, or show you how to do a basic inventory yourself.
- Do you have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors? Make sure all of your detectors are working properly. A good rule of thumb is check your detectors when Day Light Savings Time changes.
- Do you have an emergency plan? Have you gone over this plan with your family, including your younger children. Would they know what to do in the event of a fire? A home invasion? A medical emergency? Periodically hold a family meeting, go over the emergency plan and practice using mock scenarios. The more you practice, the better your chances for remembering what to do during a stressful event.
- Do you know what to do if you have to evacuate your home? Are you and your children prepared to evacuate quickly with necessities? Do your children know where to meet outside should they have to evacuate in the case of a fire?
- Are you an active member of your community watch? If not, get involved. Get to know your neighbors. If there is not an active community watch meeting in your area, start one!
- Are you signed up with www.nixle.com? Nixle provides up to the minute alerts specific to your community in the events of crime or emergency situations.
- Do you have an Identakey™? IdentaKey™ is a product we offer that allows you to upload important medical and descriptive information of your family, via a USB that you can carry on your key chain that could be accessed by authorities or medical personnel in the event of an emergency (abduction, medical emergency, etc.).
- Do you have an emergency "Take-Box"? Be sure to attend one of our free Safety and Security Seminars for detailed information on all the items needed for a take-box for your specific needs.
- Have you talked to Steve Rogers about any safety/security questions you might have? Feel free to call Steve at 910-884-7021, or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, to set up an appointment for a free consultation, or to schedule Steve as a speaker for your community watch group, civic group or church organization (free of charge).